2018 Workshops are now being scheduled. Visit our Workshops page for more info...

Legal Specialties for Children and Adults with Disabilities and Their Families

Click on any of the substantive legal specialties below to learn more.

Publications and other resource material for families and professionals.

Robert H. Farley, Jr. writes and publishes on disability and disability law regularly. Below is a sampling of currently available articles and publications.

Click here to view more on our main publications page.

Publications and articles are available for reprint by not-for-profit agencies and parents groups; please see reprint requirements on our publications page.

Workshops, Seminars and Presentations

Robert H. Farley, Jr. is available to speak to parents groups, organizations, and agencies on a wide variety of issues related to disability advocacy and disability services. Popular topics include:

  • Adult Services for Developmentally Disabled Persons
  • Waiting List for Services: Fact or Fiction

Click here to visit our main workshops page.

Ongoing Litigation Regarding Adult Services

During the last eight years, ongoing litigation against the State of Illinois has resulted in many families receiving funding for day programming, in-home supports, and residential services for children with developmental disabilities, and important legal issues in the State are still being litigated. If you have been told that your son or daughter does not qualify for funding, please contact Attorney Robert H. Farley, Jr. to determine whether current litigation may effect your situation, or if you have a basis for a legal claim against the state.

video snaphot of Mr. Farley speaking

Click here to view video of Mr.
Farley's presentation, Obtaining Funding or Services for Children & Adults with DD in the State of Illinois.

Securing Services for Adults with Disabilities

Adult Home-Based Supports and Services

At age 18, adults with developmental disabilities can receive funding for in-home supports and services.

If the 18 year old is still receiving special education, then the amount of funding will be the same as in the children's program, which is approximately $1,350 per month. When the disabled person exits special education, the amount of funding increases to approximately $2,000 per month.

The funding can be used for a day program and/or for personal support of the individual. In contrast to the children's program, a parent CAN be paid to take care of their own child. And like the children’s program, an additional $15,000 is available for technology, equipment and home and vehicle modifications.

Adult Residential Services

Many adults with developmental disabilities may also be entitled to community-based residential services under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Your child may receive funding for a community residential placement, referred to in Illinois as a Community Integrated Living Arrangement, or CILA. While the State has restricted placements to individuals it considers being in emergent or priority situations, Mr. Farley has obtained funding for many individuals initially denied funding.

Since November 1, 2004, the State of Illinois has maintained a database — the Prioritization of Urgency of Need for Services, or PUNS — that documents the unmet needs of Illinois residents with developmental disabilities.

In order to receive funding for services an individual must be listed on the PUNS waiting list. Contact your local Independent Service Coordination Agency to be placed on the list.

Click here to learn more about the Illinois PUNS waiting list.